There are techniques that can help maintain focus even if you are a beginner:
- Counting – Redirects and distracts the thinking and stops ruminating.
- Deep Breathing – Triggers the relaxation response, decreases the heart rate – leads to a sense of relaxation.
THE FOUR STEPS
The guided meditation in this blog guide you through a step by step process that will relax you and assist you in maintaining focus and concentration. You initially use the long slow breath and counting to relax and distract your mind. Then when you stop counting and breathe normally. The sensations will be subtle and it will take more mental discipline to maintain your focus.
These are the four steps:
- Deep Breath – Counting
- Deep Breath – Counting and Felt Sense
- Deep breath – Felt Sense
- Normal breathing – Felt sense
If you find it difficult to maintain concentration while in step 4 go back to earlier steps.
If possible during each meditation try to do at least 1 or 2 minutes of step 4. It is the most difficult but it is also the technique that can lead to the deepest level of focus and conentration.
what is the best meditation for you
It depends upon:
- Your experience – beginner? – regular practitioner?
- The mood that you are in – Had a rough day?
- Your personal preference – Focus, Visualizations, Guided, Chanting
Four Part Training Wheels Meditation
Sign up for the newsletter
Coping With Stress Meditation
Long slow breath